Achieving Your Potential – One Simple Fact

No comments

I don’t think I have the right to tell you or anyone what your potential is, only you can decide how high you want to set that bar; the only thing I would say is when your time is up, how great would it be to have achieved what you are really capable of.

I’m a big believer that if you want to achieve your potential – one of the best ways is to learn from others who already have. This first blog is on Steve Jobs. I can already hear the hoorays and hmmm’s ringing out but bear with me (or at least for the duration of this blog).

Everyone seems to have an opinion on Steve Jobs – from genius and visionary to a bully. He was a person who divided opinion. People also talk about Apple, the business he founded in a garage with Steve Wozniac in 1976, and how it has transformed industries from personal computers, to mobile phones, music and film.

So what was Steve Jobs’ legacy – was it changing the world of technology, music and film? I would argue it was none of these things; it was to inspire people to achieve their potential.

I think an interview he did in 1990 sums it up the best when he said;
“When you grow up, you tend to get told that the world is the way it is"
He goes onto say that,

“life can be much broader than this when you discover one simple fact, that the world was made up by people no smarter than you and that you can change life once you shake off the notion that life is there and you are just going to live in it, over embrace it and change it.”

For me, what he was saying is people grow up with a glass ceiling and that we are also programmed to follow a predetermined path, when in fact we are all capable of much than this.

I think everyone has different starting points in life however I also don’t believe that simply because you had a good start, you have the right to achieve success and if you didn’t then you are doomed to fail.

Maybe it is too simplified a view of the world but I believe everyone is born with potential, the secret is unlocking it. I think it is only when you start achieving your potential, that you really come alive.

I’ll leave you with a few simple thoughts if that is okay with you.

If you were to sit quietly for a moment and score yourself out of 10 in terms of where you are right now on achieving your true potential, what would you score and if you were to ask yourself, is there more I could achieve in life, what would the answer be….



No comments :

Post a Comment